LAST UPDATED – July 2017
1. About travel audience
Travel Audience operates a data driven travel advertising platform. Our platform connects performance-oriented advertisers with our network of publishers, reaching millions of travellers. Our data-driven travel advertising platform consists of two major components: Our publisher network publishes third-party content via native advertising and our own demand-side-platform provides end-to-end data driven advertising solutions to our partners.
3. What is digital advertising?
Digital advertising, also called internet advertising, is used by businesses to leverage internet technologies to deliver promotional advertisements to consumers. Digital advertising includes promotional advertisements and messages delivered through email, social media networks, online advertising on search engines or in mobile apps, banner ads on mobile sites or websites and affiliates programs.
4. How does digital advertising work and what information is being collected?
Cookies are an essential part of the internet environment and in digital advertising. Cookies are small files that can be stored on computers to contain or communicate certain information. Cookies can for instance allow a website to log users in automatically to an online service or provide users with personalized advertising. Cookies can be deleted at any time from users’ browsers via the browser settings, as described below.
Similarly, mobile device advertising identifiers can be used to recognize a user’s device and allow that user to login automatically to an online service as well as for other services and functionalities. Users can also reset the mobile device advertising identifier of their mobile device in the settings menu of their device, as also described below.
The technologies our partners and we use may collect the following information about online user activity, for example:
- Travel related information, such as search queries and booking information on our partner websites (for example origin, destination, number of passengers, hotel stars, duration, record locator, booking values, etc.) and other similar information relating to the use of websites and mobile applications of our partners;
- Device and browser information, such as information relating to a mobile device or a browser ( e.g. browser version, hardware model, operation system version and mobile network information);
- Location-based information, such as proximate location information which our partners or we may infer if we are legally allowed to do so from information such as from an IP address or GPS data or other online location-based information on which our partners and we sometimes rely on for the quality of our services;
- Browsing history, such as information regarding which websites or mobile apps users have visited or used.
5. Use and sharing of the data collected as part of digital advertising
The data collected via our and our partners’ products and services are used by us exclusively for the purpose of improving our services (i.e. to show users more relevant advertising) as part of our retargeting services. This means the information we and our partners collect and receive are used to display personalized advertising that we believe is of real interest to the users, to settle accounts with our partners for advertising campaigns using our services, to analyse and improve our services, and to analyse the effect of our partners’ advertising campaigns.
For such purposes and to the extent legally permitted, we might connect different collected data sources (from our partners or affiliates) to create user profiles in order to show the most relevant advertising to the user. Also with regard to such user profiles, we cannot identify a natural person on the basis of the information collected and used by us.
We do not share the collected information with third parties, other than described in the following: If we are legally allowed to do so, we may share information with other companies of the Amadeus Group, which likewise use the data for the purposes as described above only. Only to the extent necessary for the aforementioned purposes, we might also share information with the following of our partners:
- Social Advertising: We might use social advertising platforms to reach users on these platforms to deliver personalized ads. In these cases, the privacy terms of these social advertising platforms are relevant for the user regarding the use of the information by such platforms.
- Supply Side Platforms (SSPs): We work with SSPs and might share cookie information with them. In this case we use a tracking script of these SSPs so they can set a cookie and provide us with bid requests for these relevant users.
- DSPs: We also work with and might push information into third party Demand Side Platforms (DSPs) like Google DBM, Pocketmath or others.
It must also be noted that Travel Audience is a member of the Interactive Advertising Bureau, an international organization participating in the establishment of standards for the advertising industry (“IAB”). As such, Travel Audience abides by the IAB guidelines on conduct available at https://www.iab.com/guidelines/
6. What rights do users have concerning the data collected as part of digital advertising?
Due to the fact that we cannot identify a natural person on the basis of the information collected and used by us, we are not able to answer requests from individual users which information we hold about them or to comply with a request to delete information relating to a certain individual. However, users have the automated capability to ensure that they do not receive display advertising personalized by us in the future. We explain how this works below.
7. How can a user ensure that he/she does not receive personalized display advertising from travel audience?
7.1 Cookie Settings in the Browser
First, in order to prevent browser-based personalized advertising, users can change the cookie settings in their browser so that cookies are no longer stored. They will thus prevent the cookies needed for retargeting from being placed on their computer. To that end, they must change the appropriate browser settings. The specific settings can differ depending on the browser used.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer, the relevant instructions can be found at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- For Mozilla Firefox, you will find the relevant instructions at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-and-disable-cookies-website-preferences
- For Google Chrome, you will find the relevant instructions at https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- For Safari, you will find the relevant instructions at https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21411?locale=de_DE&viewlocale=en_US
For other browsers, or in case the displayed links do not lead to the desired result, then further information will usually be found by entering the name and manufacturer of the browser and the terms “cookies” and “settings” in an Internet search engine.
It must be noted that certain website services that require the processing of cookies (such as certain shopping carts on ecommerce sites) may no longer work if cookies are blocked.
7.2 Cookie Opt-Out
Users may furthermore inform us that they no longer want personalized advertising provided by us by activating the following button icon.